Helping out… #Birmingham, AL

Although a lot of the national news hasn’t mentioned it much -hello, MSN, the first thing I saw when I got online?  Crap about NFL draft prospects and superstar kids. Um, tornadoes-killed 170.  Maybe that should be the headline?

Anyway, yesterday massive storms hit the south. A tornado nearly a mile wide was reported to tear through Birmingham.

I read somewhere that one entire town was wiped off the map.

As always, in times of tragedy, there are going to be cretins out there who try to profit from it.  Make sure if you’re from the area, you only use reliable, vetted services.  If you’re donating money, make sure it’s a reliable charity-I always check through Charity Navigator.

Because I want to do something to help, I’m going to make you help me do it. For every comment I get up to 100, I’m donating a buck to the United Way of Central Alabama. Comments must be made here at my blog, though, not via FB-just makes it easier to keep up.

Ready…GO!

p5rn7vb
Kindle

88 comments

1. Carol VanderKloot says:

shiloh:
    thank you for using words to enlist + rally support for this devastating series of events.
    you follow a great tradition of wonderful writers being that you hail from the south.
    here’s to a flurry of comments + donations!

also i’m listening to Neil Diamond’s Shiloh in your honor!

thank you!

cvk

2. Susan R says:

My heart goes out to all of those effected by this extreme weather we are having.
    Shiloh – you rock with the causes!

3. Jen Partin says:

Thanks Shiloh!!! We were not hit in my part of Bama but there are SO many who need help and prayers right now….

4. Jocelyn says:

It is so heartbreaking to see the devastation caused by the massive storm. Thank you for doing this. We need more people like you!

5. Tyhada says:

My daughter is going to speak with her principal @ middle school tomorrow about setting up donation boxes. We figured there are a lot of kids that go to school that have clothes they don’t wear or have outgrown that the people who lost things (in some cases lost everything) could use.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if each and every school in the country could help out in some small way?

I think it’s great what your doing Shiloh!

God Bless

6. Teresa says:

after moving away from Tornado Ally, I do not miss the spring ritual of siren testing, alarms in the afternoon/evening, and the trekking down into the basement. I hope the country is not so tired of bad news that this is totally ignored in the wedding fanfare.

7. Julie Brengard says:

This is really cool of you to do. These storms can reek so much havoc. I am from St. Louis and we just had bad ones on Good Friday. It went through a mile or so from my son and daughter in laws house. We were lucky here. There were no fatalities or serious injuries even though it ripped through out airport. Very scary.

8. Michelle Bledsoe says:

I love you for doing this Shiloh. Bless you for having such a giving heart. I have been on the receiving end of loving charity recently and know how much easier it makes going through the rough times.

Michelle

9. PattiH says:

You are a wonderful person! Thanks for doing this!

(Oh, and why is Fox News more interested a wedding than their own viewers in the midst of disaster?!)

10. Pamk says:

Thanks for all you do. There were sayingthat something like 200 tornadoes hit in that line of storms. The town I grew up in (Trenton, GA) which is 15 minutes from my house was hit by 3 different tornadoes back to back. There was one behind us and several in front. It was by the grace of god that our town missed a direct hit. My son school was damaged and lots of roads were impassable.

11. Nell says:

Thanks for doing this. I’m in Texas and we are fighting fires right now so I understand the loss. My hubby lost a co-worker to the fires last week.

12. JenM says:

I’m just amazed at how much damage was done over such a wide area. So sad. Thanks for noting that people should check charities on Charity Navigator – it’s so important to make sure your money will go to the right place.

13. Adriann R. says:

I have a lot of relatives in Alabama, so my heart is with them tonight. Thank you for the link to Charity Navigator…before I read your blog I was already Googling for the best place to donate. You saved me the effort, needless to say. Thanks again for letting your light shine!

14. Laura says:

my sister and her family live in tuscaloosa,al which was badly hit by the same tornado- they were lucky but the people in the subdivision across the street were not. thank you shiloh

15. Brandi Clark says:

I’m from Choctaw County, AL, about an hour and forty five minutes south of Tuscaloosa. We had areas hit hard too, F2 and F3 twisters that took down homes. We are all devastated as a community and state. Thanks so much for this and God bless you!

16. Mandi M Lynch says:

I was driving south on I65, nearing TN when I heard tornadoes in AL. I knew they could be coming towards me, or heading east towards friends and family. Either way was bad. Then I heard about the one through Tuscaloosa and I didn’t know if I should stop the car and puke or not. That’s the one city name I didn’t want to hear. I texted all my friends, and they call texted or called back – what a relief. Even my ex boyfriend called – He had been in Tuscaloosa when the tornadoes went through, evacuated to another city, and they hit there, too. He’s a nurse, so he signed on to help at the hospital. (I’ll spare those stories)… So much bad going on, lots of people without power for a week or more.

Thanks for doing this. We’re still recovering from the floods in Nashville; this weather cell caused us to cancel our 1 year cleanup plans. May Alabama and Georgia have better luck.

17. ChrisP says:

I have lived *near* the South in Florida (yeah, it’s further south, but it’s not The South), and have visited my father in Georgia, and I have to confess, I don’t ever want to live there – it is not a good fit for me. *BUT* I wish the people well and hope that your drive makes a difference. I love your stories and I admire your dedication to help people in need. Thanks so much for being such a caring person.
    -CP from the Pacific Northwest
    P.S. I also plan to make my own donation through a reputable source.

18. webbie says:

I have many friends and family in Alabama who suffered great loss. Even now, my BIL is in Hackleburg on search and rescue. Thanks for doing this!

19. Lisa Boggs says:

Great idea!

So much devastation i just can’t imagine. This should be front page news so to speak everywhere still.

Lisa B

20. Slush says:

Shiloh,

What you are doing is admirable. I admit I was also at a loss for words when the news is filled with stories that can wait compared to learning more about those that suffered at the wrath of nature.

Thank you.

21. Elizabeth B says:

I live in Eastern Tennessee and thankfully, did not see any storm damage where I live. Sadly, the same cannot be said for Greene County, which is only 30 minutes from where I grew up. These storms were horrible for the fact the same areas were pounded by wave after wave of storms. My thoughts and prayers are with those in Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia and Tennessee that were impacted by this devastation and hopes that the weather will give these communities a reprieve.

22. Lindsey Hutchison says:

my heart and prayers goes to those affected do to this. i have friends that keep going on flood and tornado warning over there and all i can do is keep in contact with them daily. my heart is over there with every one…im proud of those for helping…and i admire you for doing this.

Comments are closed.