So you got a writer in your life? Wanna know what to buy her? Him?
Well, there are some things I think that are universally loved by writers. Or needed.
- Books. It’s pretty much an accepted fact that writers can never have enough books. Don’t know what books to buy? See below
- Gift certificates to bookstores. We love shopping for books almost as much, or as much, as we love reading them.
- Craft books-no, not knitting, sewing… writing craft books. But be warned, some of us like them more than others. I like books on characterization more than anything else. Others prefer plot books. Some hate writing books period, so this could be tricky. Might be better to just do the GC idea.
- Research books. Like… Forensics for Dummies-just in case the writer needs to know how to dispose of a body, that sort of thing. FICTIONALLY. This book is my current best friend while I figure out kinks in my RS trilogy.
- Notebooks. Little notebooks for the car, the purse, because sometimes inspiration strikes in very inconvenient places.
- Got bucks to spend? Maybe a Sony Reader or the Barnes and Noble Nook (the nook is backordered.) Personally, I love and adore the Sony Touch-$299, because I can take notes on the screen (nifty touchscreen feature), either in a note format using text or handwriting, or I can make notes on a book-handy for my books, and I also like it at church.
- GCs to office supply stores. Many of us like office supply stores. Don’t ask me why. We just do. Pens and notepads and gadgets.
- “Careful or you’ll end up in my novel” shirts. Self-explanatory. (also from PBW)
So there ya go.
Me? This year, I told the DH, my mom, my in-laws I wanted cash. I need a new laptop.